One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft Scottish cheese made from buttermilk or sour milk.
- ‘Cranachan is classically made with toasted oatmeal, cream, crowdie, heather honey and berries.’
- ‘While certain foods, such as tablet, crowdie or brose, just aren't available south of the border, there are some words for things we both have that are, quite simply, completely different.’
- ‘So are the ones for oatcakes, crowdie, medallions of venison and steamed mussels.’
- ‘In the past, you could only obtain two types, crowdie and Orkney cheddar.’
- ‘His crowdie products include one containing wild garlic leaf and other versions rolled in peppercorns or the locally grown pinhead oatmeal.’
Early 19th century: from crud + -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.