Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crisp piece of bread or pastry hollowed to receive a savory filling.
- ‘Fresh goat cheese on toasted croustade topped with grilled vegetable medley tossed in balsamic vinaigrette.’
- ‘Nowadays croustades are considered old-fashioned in France; they may still be encountered on buffet tables at grand receptions, or as an accompaniment to drinks.’
- ‘Simply cut croustades in desired shape and size from puff pastry dough sheets.’
- ‘Pile the creamy mixture into the freshly baked croustades, top with the lids and serve straight away with a large green salad on the side.’
- ‘Return the croustade to the oven for 10-15 mins, to heat through, then remove from the tin and serve on a warmed plate.’
- ‘The croustades are made in mini tartlet tins, which are available in trays of 12; what they are essentially are croutons made into tartlet cases.’
- ‘Store the croustade shells covered in a dry area.’
- ‘Spoon into the bread croustades and serve hot, garnished with snipped chives.’
- ‘There is a wonderful recipe from that region for a croustade that encases apples and prunes in Armagnac.’
- ‘Use this flavored oil for basting, for croustades, and for keeping things from sticking to your grill.’
- ‘A creamy Brie filling piped into a croustade shell, topped with chopped Macadamia nuts and baked til golden brown’
- ‘The great thing about this easy appetizer recipe is that these little croustades can be stored in an airtight tin for up to 2 weeks.’
- ‘There were also dense slabs of chocolate fondant, and an apple croustade with a light, frilly crust that melted to butter in your mouth.’
French, from Old French crouste or Italian crostata tart (from crosta crust).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.