One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A foul-smelling oil, formerly used as a purgative, obtained from the seeds of a tropical Asian croton tree.
- ‘The trial developed that administering arsenic and croton oil to old men was by no means the defendant's only foible.’
- ‘In the former case this procedure was followed by injections of croton oil and/or hydrocortisone, and in the latter case only by enough air to maintain the size of the original ellipsoid.’
- ‘Plasma cytokine levels were not changed by croton oil treatment.’
- ‘Topically applied emu oil significantly reduced severity of acute auricular inflammation induced by croton oil in mice.’
- ‘In contact with the eye, croton oil causes severe keratoconjunctivitis with pain, swelling, and purulent discharge.’
- ‘Witch hazel also exhibited a strong antiphlogistic effect in the croton oil ear edema test in the mouse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.