One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wind blowing across one's direction of travel.
- ‘Turbulence or gusty crosswinds require being immediate with your control inputs.’
- ‘It did not take into account crosswinds or turbulence.’
- ‘You learn how to cast against the wind, with the wind behind you, or into a crosswind.’
- ‘I like to test balls into a strong crosswind to see how they hold the line.’
- ‘Watch for crosswinds, especially on roads with truck traffic.’
- ‘That tricky north westerly crosswind was blowing to make things difficult.’
- ‘Strong crosswinds have no effect on the vehicle's stability.’
- ‘At speed the car is notably refined and proved all but immune to the violent crosswinds we encountered on the launch.’
- ‘He found bullet deflection due to a crosswind could be solved by adding a wind bar on each side of the crosshair that corrected a 10 mph cross wind.’
- ‘Winds were gusting to 25 knots and a crosswind existed.’
- ‘There was a strong crosswind coming from the right that day that affected the left lane more because the right lane was more protected by the guardwall.’
- ‘Even a direct crosswind will resolve to a slight head wind.’
- ‘This morning, the weather forecast called for really strong crosswinds.’
- ‘Differential blowing could also improve control of trailers in crosswinds by helping compensate for the wind direction.’
- ‘There are light crosswinds blowing off Lake Michigan which may account for some of the plane's erratic movements.’
- ‘In a match dictated by a strong crosswind the scoreline did not reflect the nature of this duel.’
- ‘If there's a crosswind, use your heading indicator to establish a wind correction angle.’
- ‘The heavy rain had left the pitch sodden and a tricky crosswind made the kicking game somewhat difficult.’
- ‘A slight crosswind changing to a steady tailwind greeted rowers and spectators alike.’
- ‘Forty degrees heat allied to a strong crosswind and the constant and repetitive frequency of the huge number of climbs made it almost impossible to succeed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.