One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marked part of a road where pedestrians have right of way to cross.
- ‘Observe your child crossing the street safely at the crosswalks.’
- ‘Detectors were installed to monitor pedestrians only on the crosswalk but not on the footpath.’
- ‘It is important that students understand that the traffic calming devices on the Ring Road are not crosswalks.’
- ‘I looked down at the dirty yellow lines of the crosswalk.’
- ‘Current law orders motorists to stop on both sides whenever a pedestrian steps onto the crosswalk, an unlikely event in this burg.’
- ‘Pedestrians have the right-of-way on crosswalks, sidewalks and walkways across streets at stop signs.’
- ‘This applied not only at intersections and crosswalks, but anywhere.’
- ‘There was neither a street light nor a crosswalk at that location in the road.’
- ‘When school resumes again, drivers need to be aware of school zones, crosswalks and bus stops.’
- ‘Injuries are more likely in areas without crosswalks.’
- ‘Over the weekend, the students posted their response in the form of a chalk outline of a pedestrian where the crosswalk once was.’
- ‘But on the freeway there are neither stoplights, yield signs, nor crosswalks at which to pause, only furious and never-ceasing movement.’
- ‘As I emerged on the other side of the sidewalk, I stood at the edge of the road beside the crosswalk.’
- ‘Richards emphasized police urge motorists always to watch closely for any sort of pedestrian movement when approaching a crosswalk.’
- ‘She said marked crosswalks without lights provide a false security for pedestrians.’
- ‘They approached the end of the sidewalk, the dull click of the pedestrian crosswalk blinking with the small white man.’
- ‘This means a route with slower traffic, more crosswalks, more crossing guards, and more sidewalks with wider surfaces and unobstructed views.’
- ‘Ian was one of those who walked, and he crossed the street at the crosswalk just beside the student parking lot.’
- ‘When the pedestrian phase is too long, drivers may be unnecessarily delayed at an empty crosswalk after all pedestrians have completed their crossing.’
- ‘We were still on the crosswalk, a few yards away from the curb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.