A bad-tempered person.
shrew, curmudgeon, discontent, complainer, grumbler, moaner, fault-finder, carpermisery, mope, dog in the manger, damper, dampener, spoilsport, pessimist, prophet of doomcranksourpuss, grouch, grump, virago, grouser, whinger, wet blanket, party pooper, doom merchantkvetch, soreheadjade, melancholiacView synonyms
- ‘A propos ‘crosspatch’ a ‘mardy’ child is sullen and whining.’
- ‘York is bulging at the walls with Scrooges, Grinches, crotchety crosspatches and other assorted bah humbuggers.’
- ‘Mr Curry was no one person in particular but an amalgam of all the mean, intolerant and bigoted crosspatches I had come across over the years.’
- ‘Whenever I express my penchant for reality television in the circle of snide, knowing, not-as-smart-as-they-think-they-are crosspatches that I'm cursed to call friends, I often do so defensively.’
- ‘The crosspatch is therefore disabled physically, socially and psychologically.’
Early 18th century: from the adjective cross + obsolete patch fool, clown perhaps from Italian pazzo madman.