Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The exchange of genes between homologous chromosomes, resulting in a mixture of parental characteristics in offspring.
- ‘The frequency of aberrant chromosomes resulting from ectopic crossing over was decreased 6-fold.’
- ‘Both predictions can be tested by examining patterns of gene conversion and crossing over in appropriately marked strains.’
- ‘Using these data, we investigate several alternative models of how gene conversion and crossing over may be associated.’
- ‘Recently, theoretical models have been developed that incorporate both crossing over and gene conversion.’
- ‘In this organism crossing over between X and Y chromosomes was shown for the first time in vertebrates.’
crossing over/ˌkrôsiNG ˈōvər/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.