Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pair of fine wires or lines crossing at right angles at the focus of an optical instrument or gun sight, for use in positioning, aiming, or measuring.
- ‘‘We are looking straight at him in the cross hairs of our rifles,’ the SAS caller whispered.’
- ‘Keeping the cross hairs centered on the man's chest, Ian watched the stranger through the rifle's telescopic sights.’
- ‘The supplied inserts include apertures, posts of various widths, and cross hairs.’
- ‘The enemy is in plain sight, caught in their cross hairs.’
- ‘After firing the missile, the gunner must keep the cross hairs of the sight centered on the target to ensure a hit.’
- ‘I quickly swept the cross hairs over to the right eye.’
- ‘I moved the scope's cross hairs down to the lower-right corner of the door and squeezed off the next shot.’
- ‘To obtain the measurement values, the operator simply aligns the tool to cross hairs.’
- ‘One last check shows the cross hairs are dead center on the hardened aircraft shelter doors.’
- ‘Jason quickly swung the gun towards him and put his head right in the cross hairs.’
- ‘She had a collection of mailed death threats, one featuring her picture in the cross hairs of a rifle scope.’
- ‘With the cross hairs of his sights already on a tank, he took the shot and watched as another tank exploded.’
- ‘He stopped in mid-motion as he found himself in the cross hairs of several laser rifles.’
- ‘I gathered my composure as fast as I could, put the cross hairs (of a gun) on them and engaged them.’
- ‘After about 5 seconds the cross hairs turned red and formed an ‘X’.’
- ‘It has been used on a limited basis for fishing nets and for wound dressings, and for cross hairs in optical instruments.’
- ‘Through the lens he could just about make out the silhouette of his friend's head, dead centre in the cross hairs.’
- ‘His cross hairs targeted a nervous soldier peering out from his cover of boulders.’
- ‘The cross hairs impose a sly menace on the land, the small dots of calibration turn a life into an algebra problem.’
- ‘I finally line up the target and position the cross hairs.’
- 1.1 A representation of crosshairs on a computer screen.
- ‘Center the digital crosshairs over that distant tree line, press a button, and - zap!’
- ‘Instead you need to aim the crosshairs on the target, then hold down the fire button.’
- ‘The video viewfinder is much like what you would find on your typical consumer video camera, but this one has crosshairs on it.’
- ‘When I bring up the software and open a drawing, my crosshairs are invisible.’
- ‘Optional items in the market can upgrade your ship with tighter crosshairs and compensation tools to aid you in battle.’
- ‘You have five slots and you must first highlight the weapon to pick up by hovering the crosshairs over it.’
- ‘Get the crosshairs close to or near the selected area, and your throw will cross the plate exactly where you want it.’
- ‘The problem with this is that while the aiming function works well, you'll often have the crosshairs aimed perfectly only to have your shot miss.’
- ‘Move the crosshairs over to your running application, click and voilà!’
- ‘You move through a level to figure out where everyone's coming from, and then have the crosshairs waiting for them as they arrive.’
- ‘If you end up in someone's crosshairs for even a second, there is very little chance of recovering.’
- ‘Inside, he saw the world on a blue screen with dancing targeting crosshairs that were awaiting things to eliminate.’
- ‘Two small crosshairs on either side of the large screen slowly began to come together.’
- ‘Run your crosshairs over these and you'll find navigation even easier.’
- ‘Instead of turning the character with the left analog stick, the crosshairs just move around the screen.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.