Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Resistance to the effects of a substance because of exposure to a pharmacologically similar substance.‘cross-tolerance of barbiturates with alcohol was observed’
- ‘When treating acute pain in patients recovering from chemical dependency, the physician must consider the phenomena of cross-tolerance and cross-addiction.’
- ‘When convening from one opioid to another, it is recommended that the calculated dose be reduced by 50% to account for incomplete cross-tolerance.’
- ‘Because of cross-tolerance, this high tolerance may extend to substances the patient never abused.’
- ‘There is no evidence that cross-tolerance develops between cannabis and other hallucinogens.’
- ‘He also showed that there was a cross-tolerance between acupuncture and morphine in the treatment of drug addiction.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.