One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Resistance to the effects of a substance because of exposure to a pharmacologically similar substance.‘cross-tolerance of barbiturates with alcohol was observed’
- ‘Because of cross-tolerance, this high tolerance may extend to substances the patient never abused.’
- ‘He also showed that there was a cross-tolerance between acupuncture and morphine in the treatment of drug addiction.’
- ‘When convening from one opioid to another, it is recommended that the calculated dose be reduced by 50% to account for incomplete cross-tolerance.’
- ‘There is no evidence that cross-tolerance develops between cannabis and other hallucinogens.’
- ‘When treating acute pain in patients recovering from chemical dependency, the physician must consider the phenomena of cross-tolerance and cross-addiction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.