One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ownership by one corporation of different companies with related interests or commercial aims.
- ‘The studies lay the foundation for the agency's re-evaluation of cross-ownership policies.’
- ‘Lifting cross-ownership rules completely would allow a number of transactions that might not otherwise occur.’
- ‘On the other hand, the intricacies of media cross-ownership and foreign ownership rules act like a soporific to even the hard-core insomniac.’
- ‘In smaller markets, duopolies and TV-newspaper cross-ownership still will be disallowed to preserve diversity.’
- ‘This is especially important as the industry faces key public policy issues regarding cross-ownership and ownership caps.’
- ‘They are also being squeezed by antiquated legislation which bans cross-ownership and fails to recognise the need for multinational airlines.’
- ‘The cross-ownership rule, in fact, may need some rethinking.’
- ‘From a legal standpoint, he questions whether the corporate form, as a legal entity, is challenged by complex network patterns of cross-ownership.’
- ‘The Coalition came to power committed to remove the cross-media rules, which have prevented cross-ownership between commercial broadcasting and newspapers since the 1980s.’
- ‘And with the potential for more cross-ownership, it will be hard to keep track of the media dance cards across the country.’
- ‘At the corporate level, partnerships, mergers and/or cross-ownership could mean increased newspaper circulation and revenues.’
- ‘Canadian regulations place very few restrictions on cross-ownership.’
- ‘It also repealed cross-ownership laws for radio.’
- ‘And he'll be able to make sure it can grow with the likely liberalization of the rules against cross-ownership of TV and newspapers in the same markets.’
- ‘They were the only two broadcast outlets that seriously covered the issue of ownership caps and cross-ownership.’
- ‘Any significant Australian media investor is barred under cross-ownership laws, which restrict companies holding newspaper and television assets in the same market.’
- ‘Judging from reports, last Friday's forum was quite hostile to cross-ownership.’
- ‘Many lobbyists expect him first to tackle cross-ownership of newspapers and local broadcast stations, then move on to rules allowing broadcasters to own more than one TV station in a market.’
- ‘The industry is on the cusp of a deregulatory buying spree as cross-ownership laws are hashed out in Washington.’
- ‘‘Our opposition to cross-ownership runs against our own business interests,’ he says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.