One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of timber) having a grain that runs across the regular grain.
- ‘Complementing the bookmatched crotch mahogany veneers of the panels and drawer faces are the cross-grained rosewood facings of the finial plinth, doorframes, and drawer banding.’
- ‘The lower portions of the bookcase doors have panels of crotch mahogany set within cross-grained and mitred satinwood surrounds.’
- ‘The drawer openings were defined by cross-grained half-round moldings glued directly to the case.’
- 1.1 Stubbornly contrary or bad-tempered.‘Bruce was a cross-grained and boastful individual’
awkward, difficult, uncooperative, perverse, contrary, unhelpful, obstructive, disobliging, unaccommodating, unreasonable, troublesome, tiresome, annoying, vexatious, disobedient, recalcitrant, refractory, wilful, headstrong, self-willed, capricious, waywardView synonyms
- ‘One can see that his colleagues must have regarded him as a cross-grained old curmudgeon.’
- ‘How should you like it if any cross-grained brute should call you Mr M the moment he chose to be uncivil?’
- ‘The reaction in the Scottish Parliament this week said a lot about our MSPs and their cross-grained views.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.