One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A squash of a club-shaped variety with a curved neck and warty skin.
- ‘The notoriously prolific zucchini is perhaps the best-known summer squash, but the group also includes chayote, yellow crookneck and straightneck squash, as well as pattypans.’
- ‘Like a lot of other squash types, the female flowers of crooknecks are much larger than the male blossoms.’
- ‘Types of summer squash include the zucchini, straightnecks, crooknecks, and scallops.’
- ‘The yellow crooknecks have a delicious strong flavor, which is why they are a favorite for us.’
- ‘Slice zucchini and crookneck squash lengthwise, brush with olive oil, and roast with sliced onions and red sweet peppers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.