One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The appointment of friends and associates to positions of authority, without proper regard to their qualifications.
- ‘Being from Chicago I can tell you that I have seen quite a bit of political corruption and cronyism.’
- ‘It's an invitation to cronyism and corruption or total ineffectuality.’
- ‘In the past week, accusations of cronyism and sexual politics have turned the city hall press gallery upside down.’
- ‘He came from privilege, yet fought for labor and against cronyism and corruption.’
- ‘The malpractices, incompetence, cronyism and corruption he rightly castigates are not a product of devolution.’
- ‘Corruption, cronyism and all the usual accoutrements came in tow.’
- ‘Now it's the code of connections, corruption, and cronyism that reigns supreme.’
- ‘The whole culture of greed, arrogance, cronyism and corruption was marvellously encapsulated in that instructive episode.’
- ‘He announced that reform will indeed happen and there will be an end to cronyism in the appointment of judges.’
- ‘An investigation by The Sunday Times in 2003 revealed that the honours system was corrupted by spin and cronyism.’
- ‘Corruption and cronyism have increased in the spheres of politics and business in an almost obscene fashion.’
- ‘This is a government for the insiders, for political appointments and cronyism.’
- ‘The thing about corruption or cronyism is that it's almost impossible to prove, unless its done very incompetently.’
- ‘Sensitive to accusations of cronyism, he also wanted a non-political appointment.’
- ‘The vote was a sign of weariness with rampant cronyism in government and a rapidly declining economy.’
- ‘The appointment sparked a furious row over cronyism and the use of public cash.’
- ‘Charges of corruption, graft, and cronyism are common among government officials at all levels.’
- ‘He also took them to task for their authority board appointments and suggested they operated a system of cronyism.’
- ‘Allegations of bias, cronyism, and petty politicking have often tainted the results.’
- ‘The outcome is corruption and cronyism, which has implications for development.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.