One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or characteristic of Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth 1653–8, in particular with reference to his puritanism.‘critics of the Cromwellian regime’
- ‘The period of Cromwellian rule is usually known as the Protectorate.’
- ‘Ours remains, in some ways, a Cromwellian parliamentary democracy.’
- ‘The city had supported the Cromwellian cause, having been soured by unwarranted interference in its affairs by the Stuart kings.’
- ‘The output of playing cards was seriously curtailed in Cromwellian times, when both cards and play were regarded as sinful.’
- ‘The Lighthouse itself was once a Cromwellian fort guarding the harbour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.