1(in Wales) a megalithic tomb consisting of a large flat stone laid on upright ones.Also called dolmen
- ‘The stones were not dolmens or cromlechs.’
- ‘They were the so called Megalithic People, the builders of dolmens, cromlechs and other monuments over or to their dead.’
- ‘Everywhere you go in Ireland there are standing stones, circles, cromlechs and tumuli.’
- ‘Her grandfather Thomas Rogers lived at Devil's Den Cottage close to the cromlech at Clatford just west of Marlborough.’
- 1.1(in Brittany) a circle of standing stones.