One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, spring-flowering plant of the iris family, which grows from a corm and bears bright yellow, purple, or white flowers.See also autumn crocus
- ‘Autumn is the time to put in bulbs for early spring including snow-drops, daffodils, crocuses, lilies and bluebells.’
- ‘As far as planting goes, the smaller crocus should be planted so the tips of the bulb are two inches below the soil's surface.’
- ‘We plant crocuses in terracotta pots in the cool greenhouse using a peat-free compost with at least 25% extra grit for drainage.’
- ‘In spring the flowers, the daffodils and crocuses are an amazing sight.’
- ‘Crocuses and daffodils need to be planted in early fall because they're the first to bloom in springtime.’
- ‘Like snowdrops, crocuses will multiply each year.’
- ‘The tulip is followed in popularity by the daffodil and other narcissi, the gladiolus, the lily and the crocus.’
- ‘Spring-flowering bulbs such as tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, daffodils, and irises are universal symbols of spring.’
- ‘‘Sprinkle’ some crocuses, daffodils, and of course tulips between your flower beds.’
- ‘Nothing says spring quite like a daffodil, crocus or tulip.’
- ‘The signs of early spring are all around, with plants such as snowdrops and crocuses making their appearance as normal.’
- ‘Fall is the season to plant trees, turf grasses and spring-blooming flower bulbs such as tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and crocuses.’
- ‘Indulge yourself - or treat a friend - with instant plantings of colorful tulips, daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses, Iris reticulata and other spring flowers.’
- ‘For 15 years he has carefully planted crocuses and snowdrops around lamp posts, on verges and beside a phone box in his street.’
- ‘Children, their parents and other residents spent yesterday morning tidying up the embankment, which will bloom with crocuses and daffodils next spring.’
- ‘The only sure-fire way to protect tulips and crocuses and other tasty bulb treats from squirrels is to lay wire mesh such as chicken wire on top of the bed.’
- ‘It is the season to plant flowering bulbs such as tulips, narcissi, crocuses and hyacinths.’
- ‘Other fun bulbs for easy forcing include colorful hyacinths, crocuses and narcissi.’
- ‘In 1960, filming was in winter, and daffodils and crocuses had to be brought in and planted to suggest spring's arrival.’
- ‘Your hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, crocuses, and grape-hyacinths can be saved for planting in the garden.’
Late Middle English (also denoting saffron, obtained from a species of crocus): via Latin from Greek krokos, of Semitic origin and related to Hebrew karkōm and Arabic kurkum.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.