One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It's dangerous, not only for us, but for the crocs - but the payoff in terms of scientific data can be huge.’
- ‘Unlucky flying foxes are nabbed in mid-flight, providing fast food for the crocs.’
- ‘With crocs, you can sometimes afford to make a mistake.’
- ‘Marine crocs were abundant during the Jurassic period some 200 million to 145 million years ago.’
- ‘In some places people use crocs as a food supply.’
- ‘Saltwater crocs have a bit of a reputation - for eating people, that is.’
- ‘Humans certainly aren't their primary prey, but enough people have been killed by crocs to instill a healthy local fear for the animals, which also prey on livestock.’
- ‘The other 575 crocs would have been slaughtered for their skin and meat.’
- ‘Modern crocs latch on to large prey and roll with it into the water, both to kill and to disarticulate.’
- ‘Park rangers have already moved three saltwater crocs this year.’
- ‘While the crocs fight for their existence in the wild tens of thousands of them live on farms in Thailand, Cambodia, and elsewhere.’
- ‘Some of these crocs are critically endangered - like the Chinese alligator.’
- ‘Unregulated hunting between 1945 and 1970 led to a steep population decline of saltwater crocs throughout their range.’
- ‘Examples from recent years include a number of early crocodile species that were smaller than today's crocs and appear to have been land-based.’
- ‘Attacks usually happen in the evening, when the humans aren't looking for half submerged crocodiles, but the crocs are on the lookout for a meal.’
- ‘The surviving crocodilians were larger animals, more like the crocs we know today, but, curiously, mostly marine.’
- ‘Only a small number of the farm's crocs are used for breeding.’
- ‘The 4ft long Cayman crocs were in a tank in the house.’
- ‘While other marine crocs fed on small fish, Dakosaurus hunted for marine reptiles and other large sea creatures, using its jagged teeth to bite and cut its prey.’
- ‘‘I never saw any big crocs but there were giant footprints,’ he said.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.