Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A period during someone's development in which a particular skill or characteristic is believed to be most readily acquired.
critical point, decisive point, turning point, crossroads, critical period, crux, climax, climacteric, culmination, height, head, moment of truth, zero hour, point of no return, rubiconView synonyms
- ‘The ability to learn a language will be more difficult, and perhaps less efficient or effective, if these critical periods are allowed to pass without early exposure to a language.’
- ‘Why does the critical period occur during one's early 20s?’
- ‘The early adolescent years are a critical period for social skill development, especially for children at risk for social failure.’
- ‘Biological theories point to the hormonal changes that occur in women during the critical periods of puberty, childbirth and menopause in explaining gender differences in depression rates.’
- ‘Now though, with the critical period past, and Reith starting to recover on his own, he could finally take a breather.’
- ‘However, the critical period for development is up to about six years.’
- ‘From late pregnancy through the second year of life, the human brain experiences a critical period of accelerated growth.’
- ‘Thus the critical period for speech development is from birth to three to four years.’
- ‘Newborns who experience tissue injury and pain during critical periods of development may undergo a permanent rewiring of their nervous system that increases their sensitivity to pain later in life.’
- ‘Those critical periods for song learning may be defined by sex steroids.’
- ‘The first trimester is a critical period for expecting mothers, who are advised to be aware of their nutritional intake and take care when exercising.’
- ‘Due to the fact that adolescence is a critical period of development, examining the adjustment process of adolescents is especially relevant.’
- ‘Clearly, additional research to confirm the developmental trends and identify critical periods for each of the phonological skills tapped is needed.’
- ‘It has been suggested that there is a critical period for sex role development and that father absence during this period has long-lasting negative effects.’
- ‘She was depressed during that period, although the most critical period was the two to three months after her diagnosis.’
- ‘They contended that heterosexuality was imperiled by the tendency to segregate boys from girls during the critical period of adolescence.’
- ‘The programme is a team commitment and the results can be great for children at the critical period of their first year at primary school.’
- ‘It appreciates that the first three to five years of life are a critical period for developing trust, empathy, dependency, and optimism.’
- ‘Many of the critical periods for early brain development are over by the time a child is six years old.’
- ‘Intrauterine life is a critical period for the development of obesity later in life.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.