Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A one-day bicycle race on a circuit road course.
- ‘There's usually a local time trial series and a weekly evening criterium in which members hone their skills for the real races on the weekend.’
- ‘And now that I've sampled the biggest stage races, criteriums and road races in North America, I think I'll step back and evaluate what kind of rider I am, where my strengths lie, and what I need to improve upon.’
- ‘Twenty-seven competitors fronted the event, held at Enoggera in late April, to compete in a 60 km road race and a criterium.’
- ‘Fleche was the fastest race I have done this season, and amazingly faster then most of the criteriums I did while racing in America with an average speed of 47 kph!’
- ‘If McCormack is racing a 2 p.m. criterium, he starts his day with the same breakfast he'd have before a road race, then three hours prior to start time eats a light pre-race lunch.’
- ‘I'm all for the four and five hour hard races here, and the criteriums.’
- ‘We will be racing the four-day Tour of Geelong, which consists of a time trial, a criterium, a circuit race and a road race.’
- ‘A sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison was seriously injured in a criterium race Saturday May 7.’
- ‘Tight cornering and fast straight-aways are the ingredients for an exciting criterium race.’
- ‘The third stage was a criterium, a 60-minute race on a one-mile course weaving through the streets of Fairfield.’
- ‘She won the road race, the time trial and the criterium.’
- ‘Individual national titles were based upon a combination of Friday's criterium and Saturday's road race by rewarding consistency in two distinctly different road cycling events.’
- ‘The exception, of course, is if you need a saddle solely for criterium racing where all-day comfort isn't an issue, but weight-savings is.’
- ‘On a sporting level, you have to note the consistent performances of Shannon in the toughest criteriums on the circuit.’
- ‘Before coming to the USA I probably would have come up with some excuse not to race in a criterium, in fact I was always scared of them, but now I'm really starting to enjoy them.’
- ‘The first week of competition also features the cycling stars of tomorrow as junior and U23 riders compete in time trial, road race and criterium events.’
- ‘This race brings together elite Canadian and international cyclists for a criterium race through the cobblestone streets of Gastown, an historical downtown district.’
- ‘The three-man break went away fairly early in the 60-minute criterium, which was run over a 2 Km course in warm, windy conditions.’
- ‘However, by following some basic guidelines, even an amateur club team can employ team strategy and tactics for one-day road races and criteriums.’
- ‘My plan was to sort of take it a bit easy in the criterium, because tomorrow's road race looks really hard.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.