Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of food, typically cooked food) having a pleasingly firm, dry, and brittle surface or texture.‘crispy fried bacon’
crunchy, crispy, brittle, crumbly, breakable, shatterable, friable, frangibleView synonyms
- ‘The meat and vegetables in the sauces all tasted fresh, everything was hot and the fried food nice and crispy.’
- ‘They are coated in bread crumbs so that, like a schnitzel, a crispy crust encases the meat.’
- ‘The warm scones/biscuits were slightly crispy on the outside and perfectly soft inside.’
- ‘The cake was crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside, and toe-curlingly rich.’
- ‘I ordered French toast with crispy bacon, maple syrup and hash brown potatoes.’
- ‘Potatoes, chicken livers and crispy bacon go so well together, but only if you use the best fresh livers.’
- ‘The crispy crust is well filled, you can really taste the cheese and the onions have been properly fried to sweetness.’
- ‘Serve with good, crispy bread, strong extra-virgin olive oil and dried chillies to crumble on top.’
- ‘Janet's brûlée was equally good with the crispy sugar topping crackling above a creamy smooth dessert.’
- ‘The brown bread is soft and chewy with a yeasty flavour and a crispy crust.’
- ‘Towering waffles, crispy bacon, hash browns, maple syrup and litres of coffee are heaven on a plate.’
- ‘This was a wonderful fusion of sweet and savoury with the coconut giving a delicate crispy crust.’
- ‘The crispy pork spare ribs, excited as I was to try them, didn't really deliver though.’
- ‘Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley and top with the crispy bacon.’
- ‘The crispy bacon and avocado salad was large in scale, but the ingredients were deliciously light.’
- ‘The mushroom risotto, served with anchovy sauce and a crispy crust, was superb.’
- ‘On inquiry we were told the latter was crispy bacon wrapped in sausage.’
- ‘Decorate with a fresh raspberry, a mint leaf, or optionally crumble crispy cookies on top.’
- ‘The dish also included some crispy bacon.’
- ‘The bird, wrapped in crispy bacon, was served with a rich red wine and onion sauce.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.