One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used as a euphemism for Christ.
- ‘Prekop's a fine musician, but cripes, I'm driving an SUV down the highway at 140-dozing off is not an option!’
- ‘Well cripes, ya just can't seem to please some folks these days.’
- ‘Oh cripes… look at this!’
- ‘He turned, surveyed the fallen bail, and said with almost tears in his eyes, ‘By cripes, I am unlucky!’’
- ‘Why don't you just invite the entire pack over, for cripes sake?’
- ‘So I guess the question is, how do you know if the nice guy is just being nice, or being NICE. He helped me break into my apartment after my purse got stolen and would have stayed over to protect me from masked bandits, for cripes sake!’
- ‘Wish I could have been there… so I suppose it'd be hypocritical to whine about the low turnout, but cripes.’
- ‘Holy cripes, think of how the person in the truck who had the right-of-way will feel after plowing you down!’
- ‘Oh cripes, that arrogant ass doesn't even have a weapon to defend himself with!’
- ‘I don't normally get angry like that, but oooooh boy, cripes, that Caz really got me mad.’
- ‘I know, I know, but cripes!’
- ‘Aw, cripes hey buddy, I don't think you can smoke in here.’
- ‘I solved the barking dog issue with my neighbors, but cripes (!) now their cats are all over my yard and garage.’
- ‘For cripes's sake if there is one thing you had better learn about working in a library is that you had better act nice.’
- ‘Robert gasped in amazement, his mouth gaped open, he went as white as a sheet and his eyes opened wide. All he could say was ‘Nay, cripes!’’
- ‘This Cheese Rolling thing is MAD, and I still can't believe how steep the hill was either, cripes!’
- ‘Some of ‘em are in pretty good shape, but cripes!’
- ‘Again, this is a stunning gain over the, cripes, 4 systems shipped in the same period last year and 55 moved in the fourth quarter of 2003.’
- ‘Oh, cripes, they think I'm a guy, Alex thought with a chuckle.’
- ‘I suppose if the rope was involved in a crime or has magical properties, you could maybe come up with a list of a dozen secrets or so, but cripes, 100?’
Early 20th century: alteration of Christ.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.