One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sudden increase in the number of crimes committed in a country or area.
- ‘There have been 20 shootings in Limerick already this year, sparking fears that the city's image will suffer in the latest crime wave.’
- ‘A crime wave has left the Baltimore police in the dark.’
- ‘He made the point during the weekly post-Cabinet press briefing yesterday, when asked about the spiralling crime wave.’
- ‘Bahamian society needs economic reform to stem the crime wave.’
- ‘The country is in flames, racked by a guerrilla war, a continual crime wave and a foreign military occupation.’
- ‘Truth be told, the Society would have placed someone in the area to stem the crime wave.’
- ‘He traveled to San Antonio today, there to talk with his counterpart from Mexico on the crime wave that is threatening U.S. security.’
- ‘Their crime wave began in January 2001 and ended in March this year following a crackdown by Grampian Police.’
- ‘The media raises a ruckus about destroyed lives and a rampant crime wave, and blames a substance for those problems.’
- ‘Whatever we may choose to think, our crime wave is not isolated, or, in fact, alien, to this country.’
- ‘The crime wave has been attributed to the arrival of out-of-town troublemakers.’
- ‘The crime wave was finally ended after he was caught on video trying to use a credit card he had stolen during one of the burglaries.’
- ‘The area has become the target of a sudden crime wave.’
- ‘This is not to over-simplify the crime wave that's sweeping through the country with no apparent abatement.’
- ‘Hussey said the residents decided to put up the structure because of the severe crime wave which has plagued the area in the last 18 months.’
- ‘The police in Sheffield have started using parking meters that talk when you pay to grab people's attention and turn around a crime wave.’
- ‘This crime wave happened during a period of economic recession with high inflation and increasing unemployment.’
- ‘In a bid to end the crime wave, police this week reiterated warnings to drivers to make sure keys are stored securely.’
- ‘It's a massive bust, but still the meth crime wave is escalating.’
- ‘Most citizens blame the worsening crime wave on the financial crisis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.