One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sudden increase in the number of crimes committed in a country or area.
- ‘A crime wave has left the Baltimore police in the dark.’
- ‘He made the point during the weekly post-Cabinet press briefing yesterday, when asked about the spiralling crime wave.’
- ‘He traveled to San Antonio today, there to talk with his counterpart from Mexico on the crime wave that is threatening U.S. security.’
- ‘Most citizens blame the worsening crime wave on the financial crisis.’
- ‘This is not to over-simplify the crime wave that's sweeping through the country with no apparent abatement.’
- ‘This crime wave happened during a period of economic recession with high inflation and increasing unemployment.’
- ‘The police in Sheffield have started using parking meters that talk when you pay to grab people's attention and turn around a crime wave.’
- ‘Whatever we may choose to think, our crime wave is not isolated, or, in fact, alien, to this country.’
- ‘The country is in flames, racked by a guerrilla war, a continual crime wave and a foreign military occupation.’
- ‘The area has become the target of a sudden crime wave.’
- ‘The media raises a ruckus about destroyed lives and a rampant crime wave, and blames a substance for those problems.’
- ‘In a bid to end the crime wave, police this week reiterated warnings to drivers to make sure keys are stored securely.’
- ‘Hussey said the residents decided to put up the structure because of the severe crime wave which has plagued the area in the last 18 months.’
- ‘The crime wave has been attributed to the arrival of out-of-town troublemakers.’
- ‘Bahamian society needs economic reform to stem the crime wave.’
- ‘It's a massive bust, but still the meth crime wave is escalating.’
- ‘Truth be told, the Society would have placed someone in the area to stem the crime wave.’
- ‘Their crime wave began in January 2001 and ended in March this year following a crackdown by Grampian Police.’
- ‘The crime wave was finally ended after he was caught on video trying to use a credit card he had stolen during one of the burglaries.’
- ‘There have been 20 shootings in Limerick already this year, sparking fears that the city's image will suffer in the latest crime wave.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.