The ring-shaped cartilage of the larynx.
- ‘The thyroid cartilage and epiglottis are connected to the hyoid bone, and the cricoid cartilage is connected to the trachea by the extrinsic ligaments of the larynx.’
- ‘Cricothyrotomy - a medical procedure involving an incision being made between the cricoid and thyroid cartilages to maintain patency of the airway.’
- ‘The application of cricoid pressure compensates for decreased UES tone by compressing the proximal esophageal lumen between the cricoid cartilage and the cervical vertebrae.’
- ‘On the top edge of the cricoid are the two small arytenoid cartilages.’
- ‘The larynx rests on the ring-shaped cricoid cartilage, and below this is the trachea.’
Mid 18th century: from modern Latin cricoides ring-shaped from Greek krikoeidēs, from krikos ring.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.