Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a bird or other animal) having a comb or tuft of feathers, fur, or skin on the head.‘the crested drake mandarin duck’[in combination] ‘a plush-crested jay’
- ‘They have distinctive crested heads, black throats, and black masks lightly lined with white.’
- ‘As some of us slept, others watched the courtship of a pair of paradise flycatchers and a pair of crested buntings.’
- ‘My private encounter with a family of crested firebacks, one of the many stunning partridges in the area, will long remain in my mind's eye.’
- ‘The male has a dark green crested head, a white neck ring and a rusty breast.’
- ‘Presently its chatter attracted a beautiful crested blue jay that flew close and uttered high-pitched notes, wild and fierce in their intensity.’
- ‘The erect-crested penguin is one of five species known as crested penguins.’
- ‘Indeed, the social stimulation derived from the calling and courting of neighbors in the colony has been shown to hasten the development of eggs in crested penguins.’
- ‘This reporter happened upon a rare sighting of two crested serpent eagles circling together in the sky over the forest canopy.’
- ‘More than 200 species of birds are also found here, including the rare Storm's stork and the oriental darter, kingfishers and raptors such as the crested serpent eagle.’
- ‘Black crested gulls swirled along the atmosphere; the air was permanently imbued with the scent of salt and fish, fresh or otherwise.’
- ‘The noise from the birds (mostly lesser crested tern and common noddy) was deafening.’
- ‘Bird watchers also visit to see the crested grebes which nest here.’
- ‘As yet another scorching summer has drawn to a close in Mumbai, one hears the haunting cry of the pied crested cuckoo.’
- ‘DNA evidence suggests that the ancestors of crested penguins laid two eggs.’
- ‘Known to the pharaohs as the crested ibis, it was regularly featured in jewelry and art, and, like the sacred ibis, had its own hieroglyph which symbolized splendor and brilliance.’
- ‘Its overall bright red color and crested head feathers, which raise when the bird is alert or excited, readily identify the male.’
- ‘The Belted Kingfisher is a medium-sized, stocky bird with a large, crested head, and a long, solid bill.’
- ‘In Bendigo, near where I live in north-central Victoria, there are now huge numbers of crested pigeons.’
- ‘They have a gray-blue feather crested head, which they can raise and lower.’
- ‘With a bit of luck the pair of crested cranes, presently living in the reserve, can be spotted in all their splendour as an added bonus.’
2Emblazoned with a coat of arms or other emblem.‘crested notepaper’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.