One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A brownish foam that forms on the top of freshly made espresso.
- ‘Dark roasting can hide the loss of flavor with stale beans, but dark roasts can also translate into bitter coffee with less body and even less crema on your espresso.’
- ‘After 20 seconds the crema's gone, in fact the shot is cold too by then.’
- ‘The main difference from an espresso is that it doesn't produce a crema.’
- ‘This state-of-the-art machine forces hot water through ground coffee at the optimal speed and pressure necessary for velvety espresso with a perfect crema every time.’
- ‘But think of how you can impress your guests with your ability to make perfect foam and get perfect crema on top of your espresso.’
- ‘And a little while later he came into the study bearing a demi-tasse of what looked like excellent espresso, complete with a perfect crema on top.’
- ‘The coffee sprays down creating a deep tan crema during the first half of the brew.’
- ‘Milan is not so much the froth on your cappuccino as the crema on your espresso.’
- ‘The speciality of the house, it comes already sweetened and mainly consists of crema, the light brown cream that forms naturally at the top of a normal espresso.’
- ‘Not everyone accomplishes the layer of light-colored crema, or foam, that is the pride of an expert espresso-maker.’
- ‘If the steam pressure is low the extraction will be too slow, and you will get bitter tasting coffee without the light brown head or "crema".’
- ‘Simply, cleanly and with no fuss complete with a thick layer of crema atop the espresso.’
- ‘It has a lovely rich crema on the top when it's poured and a follow-through on the palate.’
- ‘Sipping the crema from my espresso doppio, I sat down on one of the bar chairs looking out over a plank-like counter onto the street and opened the newspaper.’
- ‘This foam is what is known as 'crema'.’
- ‘At the touch of a button it grinds whole beans, doses, tamps, and extracts authentic espresso complete with a thick, golden crema.’
- ‘He pounded out four espresso with such nonchalance, but the crema was dripping thick, and the shots looked amazing.’
Italian, literally ‘cream’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.