One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any plant that grows along the ground, around another plant, or up a wall by means of extending stems or branches.
climbing plant, trailing plantView synonyms
- ‘Yes muntries are little purple berries and they're the fruit of a shrub, a ground creeper, that grows down in eastern South Australia.’
- ‘Flowering plants, creepers and hedge shrubs will be planted.’
- ‘Everything was overgrown with the same creeper vines, fungi and lichen that the old fences were.’
- ‘Bright green baby's tears, blue star creeper, and creeping thyme grow below them.’
- ‘The plant, a creeper of the arum lily family, is a native of Mexico and Guatemala.’
2Any of a number of small birds that creep around in trees or vegetation.
- ‘A brown creeper also wooed us for just one day.’
- ‘They walked down the man trail, enjoying the many songs of the tree creepers above.’
- ‘One most beautiful and exotic of creepers is cardinal creeper.’
- ‘A flock of brown creepers were on most of the trees.’
- ‘Brown creepers have just taken over the neighborhood, you hear them everywhere you go.’
3North American informal A person whose behavior toward or interest in someone is regarded as unwelcome and socially inappropriate (typically used of a man)‘I could dance there without a creeper walking up and accosting me’
- ‘With a creeper glint in his eyes, Peter eschews any form of anger management in favor of destroying his career in one glorious temper tantrum.’
- ‘He is a creeper who's dating a teenager, recording everything that takes place in his life and leering through windows.’
- ‘I only block trolls and creepers though, which I haven't been getting a lot of lately.’
- ‘At first, they just skulked around the windows at the viewing parties and peered in like a bunch of creepers.’
- ‘He was a creeper who spied on her every move and manipulated his way into their lives.’
- ‘Tom thinks Wendy is super cute, judging by his creeper stare, so he has her start working right away in the toy department.’
- ‘They accuse him of being a restroom creeper.’
- ‘She's dealt with her fair share of creepers when it comes to obsessive fans and trespassers at her home.’
- ‘Whether she's demonstrating how to keep creepers away, or producing mini-musicals featuring her dogs, she is always entertaining.’
- ‘Just because he was spying on Olivia via hidden cameras, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's a creeper.’
4creepersinformalshort for brothel creepers
5A low, wheeled platform on which a mechanic lies while working on the underside of a motor vehicle.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.