One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pencil or stick of colored chalk or wax, used for drawing.
- ‘He also began to draw, creating whatever surfaced in his stream of consciousness - using crayons, pencils, ballpoint pens, brushes and watercolors.’
- ‘They could use colored pencils, markers and crayons to color their still lifes.’
- ‘In crayon, pencil or paint she could convey every quality of light and color that decorates the northern landscape.’
- ‘Grab up those pastels, crayons and colored pencils - it's happy times in the art room.’
- ‘On the top half was a bright crayon drawing of a bunch of flowers.’
- ‘Yes, I admit it I'm the one who put the blue crayons in the red crayon bucket!’
- ‘The fade-proof, permanent opaque ink will withstand watercolor washes if used with watercolor pencils, crayons or brush markers.’
- ‘Chalk, pencils, and crayons were the tools of choice.’
- ‘He ran out carrying a stack of blank papers, a bunch of crayons, pencils, charcoal sticks, a camera and a huge straw hat.’
- ‘The organisers distributed drawing sheets and participants were allowed to use watercolours, crayons and sketch pencils.’
- ‘Karen appealed for people to send her Beanie Babies, and also needed are crayons, pens and pencils.’
- ‘Rosa took her seat and set before her the tools of her trade; coloured pencils, crayons, pens, all carefully labeled in Braille.’
- ‘The art teacher came up to the lounge with a huge box of colored pencils, markers, crayons and oil pastels.’
- ‘On one of those many delightful shelves is pads of paper, wedged in there with a paint-jar, paintbrushes, boxes of pencils, pens, crayons, etcetera.’
- ‘The crayon drawings that I have are extraordinary!’
- ‘This is a tried-and-true work sequence, and the preliminary crayon drawings become a crayon-resist feature to the monoprint.’
- ‘Several types of media are allowed: watercolor, gold tempera, markers, crayons and colored pencils.’
- ‘The children experimented with pencil drawings and water colour crayons.’
- ‘I tested out all the colors of the colored pencils, markers, crayons, and water colors.’
- ‘The drawings on view employ a variety of media, including ink, crayon, pencil, watercolor and gouache.’
with object Draw with a crayon or crayons.‘Jeff crayoned a picture on a legal pad’no object ‘a child crayoning in a coloring book’
- ‘The kid has bandaged two toy cats and two toy horses, all on the left foreleg, and crayoned an X-ray.’
- ‘New this year in the Poultry Marquee is a children's area where they can draw, paint or crayon their favourite birds in the show.’
- ‘I don't know if the Pulitzer entry form has a space to list stuff like this, but when the time comes, I intend to crayon it in.’
- ‘There are flowers and stuffed animals and crayoned notes from schoolchildren.’
- ‘When I was very young I crayoned a big ‘No Smoking’ sign and stuck it in our front window just before the arrival of a chain-smoking neighbour.’
Mid 17th century: from French, from craie ‘chalk’, from Latin creta.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.