One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A helmet worn by a motorcyclist or a race car driver to protect the head in case of a crash.
- ‘Personally, I don't care whether a motorcyclist wears a crash helmet or not.’
- ‘That is why we have laws on seatbelts and crash helmets.’
- ‘He had a crash helmet on, and each time I see a crash helmet now it is horrifying - it just brings it back.’
- ‘A large crowd watched the game and were amazed to see the players taking ‘big hits’ without padding or crash helmets.’
- ‘When you do see officers around they are only there to give out tickets for traffic regulation violations, like failure to wear crash helmets.’
- ‘The manner of the driving was reckless and the youths were clearly too young to have a licence and they were not wearing crash helmets.’
- ‘Some of these riders do not wear crash helmets, they roar down on the wrong side of the road, and sometimes in the early hours of the morning.’
- ‘He was wearing dark clothing and wore a crash helmet with a Mohican-style design on the front.’
- ‘Some advise wearing a motorcycle crash helmet with full-face visor, others say ski goggles work fine.’
- ‘The car was fitted with a roll cage and sports seats and drivers had to wear crash helmets and be strapped in.’
- ‘Its 200 highly trained members dress in white overalls, padded clothing and crash helmets to protect themselves against police batons and shields.’
- ‘There are plenty of precedents for laws protecting people from their own stupidity - the compulsory use of seat-belts and crash helmets being two obvious examples.’
- ‘I can't keep my crash helmet's visor down while driving, because it steams up as soon as I exhale, and I have a 25-minute journey to work.’
- ‘At the time of the accident Kevin was wearing a blue jacket, beige trousers and a white crash helmet.’
- ‘Neither were wearing protective clothing or crash helmets.’
- ‘They are no more guides than the bumpers at the front of a car or a crash helmet worn by a motorcyclist.’
- ‘They're cycling on the road with their crash helmets on.’
- ‘What is it about a crash helmet that is such an anathema to motorcyclists?’
- ‘Most accidents happened on highways and involved motorcyclists and passengers not wearing crash helmets.’
- ‘He was of medium build and wore dark jeans, a canvas coat and a peaked crash helmet with a luminous yellow design.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.