Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shaft driven by a crank.
crowbar, bar, handspike, jemmyView synonyms
- ‘The Manley connecting rods and pistons swing on a Callies crankshaft and provide a compression ratio of 15 to 1.’
- ‘This rigid, high-strength, shock-resisting material is used for diesel crankshafts, gears and machine columns.’
- ‘It comes from some of the critical wear areas; for example, the liner of the piston area, the crankshaft, or the camshaft.’
- ‘The cylinders of Millet rotated with the wheel and its crankshaft constituted the rear axle.’
- ‘With a rotary engine, the crankshaft is fixed, while the cylinders, crankcase and all the other bits rotate around it.’
- ‘The connecting rod connects the piston to the crankshaft.’
- ‘I'm also not a fan of counterweighted flywheel flanges on crankshafts.’
- ‘Has he ever listened to himself on the subject of crankshafts and big ends?’
- ‘An example of this can be cast iron crankshafts in large stationary diesel engines.’
- ‘A timing belt or timing chain links the crankshaft to the camshaft so that the valves are in sync with the pistons.’
- ‘Plans are to produce 12 000 crankshafts daily for four-cylinder diesel engines.’
- ‘Fuel is transformed into energy that pushes down on a piston that turns a crankshaft that turns a drive shaft.’
- ‘The uses of medium carbon-manganese steels include shafts, axles, gears, crankshafts, couplings and forgings.’
- ‘The resulting explosions of fuel and air drive the pistons which turn the crankshaft.’
- ‘The aft end of the crankshaft connects to the propeller shaft through the thrust bearing.’
- ‘In addition, the car has a stock crankshaft and connecting rods, Hooker headers, and Mopar ignition.’
- ‘Only a few parts come from Japan, such as engine blocks and crankshafts for the gasoline engine.’
- ‘Behind the engine, the crankshaft links to the propeller shaft through the thrust-bearing.’
- ‘Like in a car engine, the gas released from a manhole explosion could push on a piston and turn a crankshaft.’
- ‘The crankshaft and connecting rods are visible through the sides of the engine block.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.