One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural crania, Plural craniumsAnatomy
The skull, especially the part enclosing the brain.
skull, brain caseView synonyms
- ‘The bones of the cranium are divided into the skull base and the calvarial vault.’
- ‘The eye is located within the orbital cavity of the skull between the cranium and the facial skeleton.’
- ‘As the infection spreads in the temporal bone, it may extend into the cranium and result in cranial nerve palsies.’
- ‘There is also part of another male skull and an immature cranium from a six- or seven-year-old child.’
- ‘There were no significant skull fractures and so this really is a case of the brain rattling within the cranium.’
Late Middle English: via medieval Latin from Greek kranion ‘skull’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.