One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The scientific study of the shape and size of the skulls of different human races.
- ‘The medical superintendent had a long involvement with archaeology and craniology.’
- ‘The modern and quantitative study of craniology derives essentially from the nineteenth century.’
- ‘By the mid-nineteenth century there was little distinction between formal articles on craniology and studies by enthusiastic amateurs.’
- 1.1another term for phrenology
- ‘He developed a ‘science’ called craniology, which sought to use the shape and measurement of the skull to deduce intelligence ratios.’
- ‘It was predicated on the pseudo-sciences of eugenics and craniology.’
- ‘One of the most eminent of the early researchers who used craniology to ‘prove’ intellectual inferiority of women was Paul Broca.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.