One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The scientific study of the shape and size of the skulls of different human races.
- ‘The modern and quantitative study of craniology derives essentially from the nineteenth century.’
- ‘By the mid-nineteenth century there was little distinction between formal articles on craniology and studies by enthusiastic amateurs.’
- ‘The medical superintendent had a long involvement with archaeology and craniology.’
- 1.1another term for phrenology
- ‘He developed a ‘science’ called craniology, which sought to use the shape and measurement of the skull to deduce intelligence ratios.’
- ‘One of the most eminent of the early researchers who used craniology to ‘prove’ intellectual inferiority of women was Paul Broca.’
- ‘It was predicated on the pseudo-sciences of eugenics and craniology.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.