One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A jellied sauce made from cranberries, a traditional accompaniment to turkey.
- ‘They will pack a complete meal for you: turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, corn, salad, bread and pumpkin pie.’
- ‘I'd rather have victory with my turkey than cranberry sauce.’
- ‘I loaded some other foods, including the traditional cranberry sauce, on my plate.’
- ‘He leaped for joy when the taste of tantalizing turkey and cranberry sauce seized his mind.’
- ‘We won't be eating Turkey with lashings of cranberry sauce.’
- ‘Top with the sliced turkey and spoon a little cranberry sauce over the top then place the lids in position.’
- ‘On a hard roll, layer turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing with a little mayonnaise.’
- ‘We had everything: turkey, stuffing, potatoes mashed and sweet, cranberry sauce, steaming rolls, the works!’
- ‘In the end, though, it's like great cranberry sauce on a rotten turkey.’
- ‘The last time I did that, your cousin Joel pushed my head into cranberry sauce.’
- ‘This evening I had to make a dash out for emergency supplies - I forgot the cranberry sauce to go with our turkey dinner.’
- ‘Perhaps no pairing is greater than that of turkey with cranberry sauce.’
- ‘I started my feast with a half-disc of Camembert that was breaded and fried, served with a side of cranberry sauce.’
- ‘Her recipes include a traditional pumpkin pie; cranberry sauce to be served with turkey; and a cakelike gingerbread.’
- ‘We saved the turkey, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce for the next day.’
- ‘Rowena fortified herself with some of Aunt Irene's homemade cranberry sauce.’
- ‘Never mind turkey, we had home-made cranberry sauce, home-made chestnut stuffing.’
- ‘The table is laden with food - the stuffing, the cranberry sauce, and of course the massive turkey.’
- ‘I bought one can of cranberry sauce and was charged for two.’
- ‘We ate cranberry sauce out of a can, but mashed up in a nice crystal bowl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.