Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shrub of the honeysuckle family, with round clusters of white flowers followed by red berries.
- ‘Paths wind through cranberry bushes as reminders of the area's past life as lush farmland.’
- ‘Founded in the early 1800's, this town was named for the abundant cranberry bushes that flourished in the surrounding bogs.’
- ‘Blueberry and cranberry bushes provide vivid fall colors as well as tasty berries enjoyed by wildlife and people alike.’
- ‘And while they were at it they ordered me a dwarf lemon tree that will ship when the cranberry bushes do.’
- ‘It is especially decimating the American and European cranberry bushes.’
- ‘And because cranberry bushes can live for generations, some on Cape Cod are said to date 150 years to the original plantings.’
- ‘The school will plant cranberry bushes and construct bluebird houses so students can watch wildlife out of a large window.’
- ‘There are a number of varieties of the European cranberry bush, all with three-lobed leaves that turn red in the fall.’
- ‘I know of some blueberry and cranberry bushes that I'm using for groundcover.’
- ‘Some plant scientists think many cultivars of American cranberry bush are actually hybrids of the two species.’
- ‘The only landscaping proposed is around the front of the site and it consists of red maple, white pine and European cranberry bushes.’
- ‘Pussywillows, rhododendron, swamp azalea, dogwood, sumac, blueberry and cranberry bushes are among the many perennials.’
- ‘Plant size ranges from the dwarf European cranberry bush that tops out a mere 2 feet, to nannyberry that grows over 30 feet tall.’
- ‘Wetlands border the trail and sphagnum moss and cranberry bushes sometimes cover it.’
- ‘But Matulli sat back among the cranberry bushes in the wet moss and pulled Halla down beside her.’
- ‘We saw somewhat low places that may contain cranberry bushes but we're not good enough with plants to know.’
- ‘But to come across a fully laden cranberry bush in a clearing in a wood is a fabulous thing.’
- ‘Most references still refer to the American cranberry bush by its old Latin name, V. trilobum.’
- ‘The European cranberry bush and the snowball viburnums are most susceptible to aphids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.