Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shrub of the honeysuckle family, with round clusters of white flowers followed by red berries.
- ‘We saw somewhat low places that may contain cranberry bushes but we're not good enough with plants to know.’
- ‘Blueberry and cranberry bushes provide vivid fall colors as well as tasty berries enjoyed by wildlife and people alike.’
- ‘Pussywillows, rhododendron, swamp azalea, dogwood, sumac, blueberry and cranberry bushes are among the many perennials.’
- ‘But Matulli sat back among the cranberry bushes in the wet moss and pulled Halla down beside her.’
- ‘The school will plant cranberry bushes and construct bluebird houses so students can watch wildlife out of a large window.’
- ‘And while they were at it they ordered me a dwarf lemon tree that will ship when the cranberry bushes do.’
- ‘The only landscaping proposed is around the front of the site and it consists of red maple, white pine and European cranberry bushes.’
- ‘There are a number of varieties of the European cranberry bush, all with three-lobed leaves that turn red in the fall.’
- ‘The European cranberry bush and the snowball viburnums are most susceptible to aphids.’
- ‘And because cranberry bushes can live for generations, some on Cape Cod are said to date 150 years to the original plantings.’
- ‘Plant size ranges from the dwarf European cranberry bush that tops out a mere 2 feet, to nannyberry that grows over 30 feet tall.’
- ‘It is especially decimating the American and European cranberry bushes.’
- ‘Founded in the early 1800's, this town was named for the abundant cranberry bushes that flourished in the surrounding bogs.’
- ‘Paths wind through cranberry bushes as reminders of the area's past life as lush farmland.’
- ‘Wetlands border the trail and sphagnum moss and cranberry bushes sometimes cover it.’
- ‘Most references still refer to the American cranberry bush by its old Latin name, V. trilobum.’
- ‘Some plant scientists think many cultivars of American cranberry bush are actually hybrids of the two species.’
- ‘I know of some blueberry and cranberry bushes that I'm using for groundcover.’
- ‘But to come across a fully laden cranberry bush in a clearing in a wood is a fabulous thing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.