Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Extremely foolish; crazy.‘a crackbrained idea’
stupid, silly, idiotic, half-witted, witless, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, imprudent, incautious, irresponsible, injudicious, indiscreet, unwise, unintelligent, unreasonableView synonyms
- ‘A belief or a conviction, no matter how crackbrained, is not an assertion subject to editorial or legal correction.’
- ‘It cannot be possible that a man of that sagacity should be associated with such a crackbrained scheme.’
- ‘He told me straight away that I was crackbrained and only dreaming.’
- ‘On his own, he would have shared in the crackbrained political theories that abounded wherever tourists were to be found.’
- ‘Why would they ship their only daughter across five countries to compete in some crackbrained battle of the fittest?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.