One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjective
(of movement) sideways, typically in an awkward way.as adverb ‘supermarket carts that only go crabwise’as adjective ‘crabwise steps’
to the side, laterally, crabwiseView synonyms
- ‘The ferryman just angled a rudderlike thing against the current and the barge began scooting crabwise across the river.’
- ‘Maybe some of them are trying to edge crabwise towards that end.’
- ‘While he sees the FTSE and Dow Jones industrial average rising this year, the Nasdaq is set to head crabwise for perhaps eight years.’
- ‘I manage to keep it in a straight line even though I swear I was going crabwise a while.’
- ‘She has now learned to move, crabwise, the length of the sofa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.