Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A slender, gray Antarctic seal that lives on the pack ice, feeding mainly on krill.
- ‘One of the best bits was coming upon a crabeater seal sitting on an iceberg.’
- ‘Waterproof hair and insulating fat, called blubber, help crabeater seals stay warm in the frigid waters.’
- ‘Most of these were crabeater seals but I was excited to see that one was different.’
- ‘Wandering crabeater seals have been recorded in South Africa, South America, New Zealand and Australia.’
- ‘The one hundred kilograms of herbivores can support only ten kilograms of foxes or crabeater seals.’
- ‘We also have seen several crabeater seal pups with fresh leopard seal wounds during the past two days.’
- ‘Contrary to its name, the crabeater seal feeds almost entirely on krill.’
- ‘Antarctic crabeater seals would be taken as part of his country's research program.’
- ‘When crabeater seals are upset, they often foam at the nose.’
- ‘Crabeater seals prefer to eat a shrimp-like animal called krill rather than crabs.’
- ‘Some of their teeth are similar to the fancy teeth of the crabeater seal for filtering krill out of the water.’
- ‘After the summer moult, the crabeater seal is dark brown dorsally and grades to blonde ventrally.’
- ‘He led a study of crabeater seals, tagging 34 seals and tracking their foraging patterns.’
- ‘A decrease in sea ice could negatively affect crabeater seal populations.’
- ‘In the past, small numbers of crabeater seals have been exploited as food for sledge dogs.’
- ‘The fur of a recently moulted crabeater seal exhibits a rich shimmering of light and dark grey hues.’
- ‘A school of crabeater seals surfs the turquoise surge around the base of a grounded iceberg.’
- ‘Younger crabeater seals have small specks and webs of brown or dark gray over much of their dorsal side.’
- ‘A captive crabeater seal was observed to suck prey items into its mouth with one gulp from distances of up to 50 cm.’
- ‘There are six species of seals that appear in the waters around Antarctica: the leopard seal, the fur seal, the crabeater seal, the elephant seal, the Weddell seal, and the Ross seal.’
crabeater seal/ˈkrabēdər ˌsēl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.