One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender gray Antarctic seal which lives on the pack ice, feeding mainly on krill.
- ‘Wandering crabeater seals have been recorded in South Africa, South America, New Zealand and Australia.’
- ‘He led a study of crabeater seals, tagging 34 seals and tracking their foraging patterns.’
- ‘Antarctic crabeater seals would be taken as part of his country's research program.’
- ‘A decrease in sea ice could negatively affect crabeater seal populations.’
- ‘The fur of a recently moulted crabeater seal exhibits a rich shimmering of light and dark grey hues.’
- ‘When crabeater seals are upset, they often foam at the nose.’
- ‘A school of crabeater seals surfs the turquoise surge around the base of a grounded iceberg.’
- ‘Most of these were crabeater seals but I was excited to see that one was different.’
- ‘Crabeater seals prefer to eat a shrimp-like animal called krill rather than crabs.’
- ‘There are six species of seals that appear in the waters around Antarctica: the leopard seal, the fur seal, the crabeater seal, the elephant seal, the Weddell seal, and the Ross seal.’
- ‘After the summer moult, the crabeater seal is dark brown dorsally and grades to blonde ventrally.’
- ‘Waterproof hair and insulating fat, called blubber, help crabeater seals stay warm in the frigid waters.’
- ‘The one hundred kilograms of herbivores can support only ten kilograms of foxes or crabeater seals.’
- ‘Contrary to its name, the crabeater seal feeds almost entirely on krill.’
- ‘Younger crabeater seals have small specks and webs of brown or dark gray over much of their dorsal side.’
- ‘A captive crabeater seal was observed to suck prey items into its mouth with one gulp from distances of up to 50 cm.’
- ‘Some of their teeth are similar to the fancy teeth of the crabeater seal for filtering krill out of the water.’
- ‘We also have seen several crabeater seal pups with fresh leopard seal wounds during the past two days.’
- ‘In the past, small numbers of crabeater seals have been exploited as food for sledge dogs.’
- ‘One of the best bits was coming upon a crabeater seal sitting on an iceberg.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.