Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Then I had to deal with a crabby two year old who went berserk because I took his coat off.’
- ‘Isn't it amazing how crabby some sisters can get in their old age?’
- ‘I also feel vaguely crabby and irritable right now, and I'm not sure why.’
- ‘On the other hand, I would be a very crabby person without my comfort latte.’
- ‘He was getting fractious and crabby while I was getting panicky.’
- ‘I'm not a perfect mother: I'm crabby and impatient, and I shout a lot.’
- ‘She was often kind of crabby and irritable overseas when she had to travel with him.’
- ‘The princess was hungry, crabby and miserable.’
- ‘Certainly he irritates her and she is consistently stressed and crabby around him, resenting her wifely role.’
- ‘No matter how crabby they get, kids always insist it's nothing sleeping will solve.’
- ‘He slammed his fist into the car door, leaving a huge dint that even our old crabby neighbor could see a mile away.’
- ‘I've become more grumpy, bitter, disillusioned, and crabby with each advancing birthday.’
- ‘And I'm sorry, I am just tired and crabby right now.’
- ‘Honey, look there's that crabby lady on the corner.’
- ‘Maybe that's why I am feeling so crabby this morning.’
- ‘Mae was surprised to see her, but welcoming in her crabby, grandmotherly sort of way all the same.’
- ‘I'm discouraged, I'm tired, I'm crabby, I'm sad, I'm ridiculously disappointed in myself, and I'm scared.’
- ‘Mary Ellen Flynn is a crabby, old primary teacher about to begin her first position in London.’
- ‘One of the things we had to learn to deal with were crabby, irritable, and imperfect clients.’
- ‘My wife is irritable and my daughter is a little crabby about the whole thing, but they understand what I'm doing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.