One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viral disease of cows' udders which, when contracted by humans through contact, resembles mild smallpox, and was the basis of the first smallpox vaccines.
- ‘Having been inoculated with cowpox, Phipps was now immune to smallpox.’
- ‘And it should be noted, no one has given the cowpox to anyone else, either.’
- ‘It is a weakened form of cowpox that is used to make the vaccine.’
- ‘Other viruses in this group that can cause infection in humans include variola, vaccinia (used in smallpox vaccine), and cowpox viruses.’
- ‘The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.’
- ‘Unlike vaccination, which utilised the cowpox virus, inoculation involved the deliberate infection of a susceptible individual.’
- ‘He showed that cowpox vaccination prevented smallpox in a child deliberately exposed to the disease.’
- ‘He used the mild disease cowpox to confer immunity for the potentially fatal but biochemically similar smallpox.’
- ‘He noticed that milkmaids who had recovered from cowpox were resistant to contracting small pox.’
- ‘Vaccination of smallpox started in the late 18th century with Jenner's cowpox vaccine.’
- ‘There's also a review of past cases of transmission of cowpox from the vaccinated to the unvaccinated.’
- ‘The cowpox virus, which infects a range of animals including humans, has been genetically altered in a similar way.’
- ‘Injecting yourself with a cowpox vaccine or medicine made of mould must once have seemed very alternative.’
- ‘You are always pretty certain to get cowpox; likewise your nails fester.’
- ‘A spouse and child came down with a mild case of cowpox.’
- ‘Jim had only slept that late once, the week and a half when he had gotten the cowpox.’
- ‘In 1796, Jenner began to infect people first with the far more benign cowpox and then with smallpox.’
- ‘At the end of the 1700s, Jenner realized that people who had contracted cowpox, or ‘vaccinia,’ didn't get smallpox.’
- ‘Specialists have sought to mimic the response by devising a vaccine containing HIV virus tucked inside a disabled cowpox virus.’
- ‘Here's an electron microscope image of a herpes virus and here's the cowpox virus.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.