Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, thin piece of glass used to cover and protect a specimen on a microscope slide.
- ‘For the experiments, cells were grown on glass coverslips for several days.’
- ‘The sections were then counterstained in eosin, dehydrated, cleared, and mounted with glass coverslips.’
- ‘Glass coverslips were adhered to the petri dish by placing them over each water drop.’
- ‘The samples were then prepared on concave microscope slides under coverslips and sealed with silicone grease.’
- ‘Polyacrylamide gel samples were prepared on aminosilanized glass coverslips using published methods.’
- ‘The coverslips were mounted onto glass microscope slides with the addition of 3 l of mounting medium.’
- ‘All measurements were performed on uncoated glass coverslips, avoiding errors in the viscoelastic data due to a soft substrate.’
- ‘Flow cells were fabricated by assembling two glass coverslips separated by a thin layer of parafilm.’
- ‘Glass coverslips were washed with ethanol followed by distilled H2O and allowed to air dry for 30 min before sample adsorption.’
- ‘Exponentially growing cells were plated in a 6-well plate on glass coverslips and cultured for 24 h prior to drug treatment.’
- ‘For fluorescence microscopy cells were grown on glass coverslips as described above.’
- ‘Cells cultured on glass coverslips were fixed for 10 min at 4°C with acetone and dried.’
- ‘Cells were seeded onto glass coverslips at a density of 1 X 101 cells per dish, and allowed to attach.’
- ‘We would like to mention that we found a different behavior in fibroblasts on laminin-coated glass coverslips.’
- ‘Borosilicate glass slides and coverslips were used in all imaging experiments.’
- ‘In this work, we have immobilized eqFP611 on glass coverslips coated with polymer chains.’
- ‘Thirty-one mm glass coverslips were washed with 70% ethanol, then with H2O, and dried before use.’
- ‘Glass slides and coverslips are not recommended because they do not produce reliable, consistent results.’
- ‘The mucus trails were protected with coverslips and observed under a light microscope.’
- ‘After electroporation, cells were plated on glass coverslips submerged in maintenance media.’
- ‘Before use, the microcells and glass coverslips were cleaned with piranha then rinsed thoroughly in de-ionized water.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.