Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A page sent as the first page of a fax transmission, identifying the sender, number of pages, etc.
- ‘They comprised a fax cover sheet, a notice of appeal comprising three pages, and the grounds of appeal.’
- ‘Not unlike a fax cover sheet, the first page of a legal document typically contains only metadata.’
- ‘The fax cover sheet is privileged, not the memo it encloses from the plaintiffs.’
- ‘Furthermore the bottom of the cover sheet had ‘KPMG Corporate Recovery’ printed on it.’
- ‘You can also create a cover sheet that automatically lists all sheets within the set.’
- ‘We got a fax which says that there are 54 pages, plus a cover sheet.’
- ‘They are in such a rickety financial state that the management have banned the use of an introductory cover sheet on all the fax messages.’
- ‘It is the first item on the index and the first page behind the cover sheet.’
2A page placed before a manuscript or report, typically with the name of the author, title of the book or report, and date.
- ‘On the cover sheet the hearing dates were in fact 22nd and 23rd January 2002.’
- ‘A petition is filed as it would be with the Court of Common Pleas with a cover sheet, Certificate of Service, and Verification.’
- ‘He got briefing materials under this cover sheet.’
- ‘The cover sheet should explain what is expected, provide an overview of content, and describe the style of the questions.’
- ‘The owner presented the court with 115 copied pages of receipts and other documents with a cover sheet noting that the total was $10,247.’
- ‘I would put on a new cover sheet every time they rejected it, and turn it back in.’
- ‘We also attach a cover sheet to each autopsy report that contains color images.’
- ‘I quickly reorganized the papers and stapled them with my cover sheet on top.’
- ‘The judge requires that you put the new cover sheets on all your reports before viewing this translation.’
- ‘The floor-plan set had a cover sheet with instructions.’
- ‘Each description checklist had a cover sheet with instructions.’
- ‘Also on the cover sheet is a ‘Drafter’ space where you enter the person's name who drafted the Memo.’
- ‘Many of the documents he handed over were cover sheets showing the titles of files that the authorities were holding back.’
- ‘Label your envelope, cover sheet or subject heading: ‘Letter to the Editor.’’
- ‘He took a thin stack off the top of the papers in the center and read over the cover sheet.’
- ‘The cover sheet invited completion of the survey a second time for psychometric testing via the test-retest method.’
- ‘There was a cover sheet that had classified attachments, but the attachments were not included in the file.’
- ‘As to whether it was a cover sheet, it does appear to have been a letter that accompanied another document.’
- ‘The cover sheet read simply ‘A Psychological Guide’.’
- ‘They were to write reports about their target and include photographs, maps and a cover sheet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.