Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A crop grown for the protection and enrichment of the soil.
- ‘We hope to detect any cumulative effects of the cover crop's continued use.’
- ‘Have you calculated the necessary down-pressure on each blade necessary to crush the stems of a rye cover crop?’
- ‘Growing a cover crop would suck up so much precious moisture that it would put him in the red.’
- ‘Originally these plants were meant to serve only as a cover crop, enriching the soil with nitrogen and biomass.’
- ‘The next crop planted after the cover crop can use this readily available nitrogen.’
- ‘Porter hoped to devise a system for both organic and conventional farmers to use as a cover crop.’
- ‘Unfortunately, a vigorous cover crop can pose problems later on when the baby greens are harvested.’
- ‘Adjusting soil pH and fertility levels according to soil test results will speed establishment of the cover crop.’
- ‘The trick will be to match the cover crop and its timing to the cash crop.’
- ‘One of our goals in using the new planter was to pull the cover crop back over the planted row after the seed was planted.’
- ‘After the row crops, it's back into winter grains or a cover crop.’
- ‘He says that when cotton is planted after a legume cover crop, less nitrogen fertilizer is needed.’
- ‘The cover crop can be plowed under the next spring to increase soil organic matter content before planting asparagus.’
- ‘When used as a winter cover crop or a green manure crop, it should be seeded in early September.’
- ‘The roots of the cover crop bind the soil and resist the flowing water.’
- ‘Whenever you are not growing a food crop, sow a cover crop so the carbohydrate pipeline isn't shut off.’
- ‘He plants winter wheat shortly after potato harvest, and uses peas as a late-season cover crop when not planting wheat.’
- ‘Read especially likes plow-down clover as a cover crop.’
- ‘The first question to consider is whether sufficient soil moisture is available for planting and sustaining a cover crop.’
- ‘Oats are the preferred cover crop, and are harvested for grain and well as for compost-making.’
- ‘This could be an opportune time to grow a winter cover crop if there are economic or environmental reasons to do so.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.