Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Competition also provides a mechanistic basis for understanding asymmetries and negative covariation in the sizes of different structures.’
- ‘How can we account for such genetic variation and covariation of traits within the present framework?’
- ‘The unexplained covariation, C stochastic, refers to the lack of fit of the data to the model.’
- ‘The need for a new term was also because of the possible confusion between covarion and covariation, which could be completely unrelated to heterotachy.’
- ‘In a flexible variance-components framework, modeling such covariation as a covariance component in our analyses is straightforward.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.