One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fashion designer who manufactures and sells clothes that have been tailored to a client's specific requirements and measurements.
- ‘As a couturier, I feel making beautiful clothes is a form of art.’
- ‘Coco Chanel, French fashion designer and one of the most influential couturiers of the 20th century, died aged 87.’
- ‘He is the most famous cocktail dress designer among all of today's Paris couturiers.’
- ‘If China was looking for domestic fashion designers comparable to the haute couturiers in Paris, she would definitely be on the list.’
- ‘Maria supported him in London working as a couturier, sought after by prestigious fashion houses.’
- ‘The couturiers of Paris do not amount to much anymore.’
- ‘You will also be measured with the precision of a couturier to see if you have any length discrepancies, such as one leg that's shorter than the other.’
- ‘It was supposed to be high fashion heaven on earth but couturiers are not exactly scratching each other's eyes out to gain entrance.’
- ‘It is my wish that the Paris couturiers reduce the size of the ladies' hats this season, as in years past I have had many unpleasant encounters with enormous millinery.’
- ‘Interestingly, you know, today, many couturiers who are making wedding gowns aren't necessarily sticking with the formula of the bleached out ivory or cream satin, you know, princess gown.’
- ‘This is not an issue of outing, but of honoring the customary silence among couturiers.’
- ‘Those who sewed in the workshops of the fashionable London couturiers endured harsh working conditions.’
- ‘Some of Scotland's hottest couturiers are drawing on old - fashioned styles and fabrics - but not all their creations will protect you from thistles.’
- ‘Within a few years, he would be eclipsed by couturiers like Coco Chanel and Jean Patou, designers more willing to adapt to the needs of a new generation of American women.’
- ‘As everyone knows, women are designed by couturiers.’
- ‘The Dior scent Miss Dior Cherie is a modern interpretation of the original Miss Dior fragrance created by the couturier himself in 1947, the year the iconic New Look was introduced.’
- ‘Though they didn't have half-million-dollar budgets to buy clothes from a couturier, they had incredible style.’
- ‘He was the first of the 20th century's great couturiers, fêted by all.’
- ‘Each week they score contestants on how well the would-be couturiers execute a theme with the materials provided.’
- ‘Notable Parisian couturiers became patrons and she soon possessed a magnificent wardrobe comprised of gifts from her new clients.’
Late 19th century: French, from couture.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.