One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport of hunting game animals such as hares with greyhounds using sight rather than scent.
- ‘They could have been stolen to order to be used in hare coursing which is illegal but remains a popular pursuit in the south west or to run at unlicensed tracks.’
- ‘He was a man of many hobbies which included, hunting, fowling and both track and coursing.’
- ‘Last Thursday's ban on the barbaric sports of hunting and coursing with dogs is a great and long overdue advance for animal welfare.’
- ‘Under the alleged deal, hare coursing would be banned but fox-hunting allowed under licence if a regulatory body was satisfied that the activity was needed to control vermin and was not cruel.’
- ‘The use of faster dogs such as lurchers as in hare coursing would greatly reduce the suffering.’
- ‘Hare coursing is finished, this will be the last one.’
- ‘The launch was held at a press conference at which graphic footage of foxhunting, staghunting and hare coursing was also released.’
- ‘The official opening will be before the finals on Sunday next and the club is inviting coursing and sporting enthusiasts to see the facility.’
- ‘He is a passionate and eloquent defender of field sports and his argument that hare coursing and bullfighting are both in the general interest of the species is persuasive.’
- ‘Hare coursing is a complete anathema in a civilised society.’
- ‘And as a hare protection measure banning coursing will be counter-productive.’
- ‘But what they fail or seemingly don t want to take on board is the fact that hare coursing is an inherently and intrinsically cruel sport.’
- ‘In Australia and the USA, where the use of live hares is banned, drag coursing is very successful.’
- ‘The State continues to tolerate the barbaric treatment of timid animals in live hare coursing which was recently outlawed in the North.’
- ‘Stag hunting with hounds and hare coursing are not necessary.’
- ‘Hare coursing is also caught up in the legislation, despite the fact that the proponents could not, when questioned, tell the difference between hares and rabbits.’
- ‘Hare coursing is just the same and as greyhound racing has proved there is a way out of killing the animals.’
- ‘Hare coursing is outlawed in Britain and in Northern Ireland a ban is in place preventing the taking of hares from the wild.’
- ‘Shooting sessions were held in the autumn and also the low levels of culling coursing during the bulk of the year, that again causes hare populations to decline.’
- ‘The coursing over the two days was excellent with hares that were too good for their pursuers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.