One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport of hunting game animals such as hares with greyhounds using sight rather than scent.
- ‘Shooting sessions were held in the autumn and also the low levels of culling coursing during the bulk of the year, that again causes hare populations to decline.’
- ‘Hare coursing is also caught up in the legislation, despite the fact that the proponents could not, when questioned, tell the difference between hares and rabbits.’
- ‘Under the alleged deal, hare coursing would be banned but fox-hunting allowed under licence if a regulatory body was satisfied that the activity was needed to control vermin and was not cruel.’
- ‘Hare coursing is outlawed in Britain and in Northern Ireland a ban is in place preventing the taking of hares from the wild.’
- ‘The coursing over the two days was excellent with hares that were too good for their pursuers.’
- ‘In Australia and the USA, where the use of live hares is banned, drag coursing is very successful.’
- ‘Last Thursday's ban on the barbaric sports of hunting and coursing with dogs is a great and long overdue advance for animal welfare.’
- ‘The State continues to tolerate the barbaric treatment of timid animals in live hare coursing which was recently outlawed in the North.’
- ‘But what they fail or seemingly don t want to take on board is the fact that hare coursing is an inherently and intrinsically cruel sport.’
- ‘Hare coursing is finished, this will be the last one.’
- ‘He was a man of many hobbies which included, hunting, fowling and both track and coursing.’
- ‘The use of faster dogs such as lurchers as in hare coursing would greatly reduce the suffering.’
- ‘They could have been stolen to order to be used in hare coursing which is illegal but remains a popular pursuit in the south west or to run at unlicensed tracks.’
- ‘Hare coursing is a complete anathema in a civilised society.’
- ‘He is a passionate and eloquent defender of field sports and his argument that hare coursing and bullfighting are both in the general interest of the species is persuasive.’
- ‘And as a hare protection measure banning coursing will be counter-productive.’
- ‘Hare coursing is just the same and as greyhound racing has proved there is a way out of killing the animals.’
- ‘The official opening will be before the finals on Sunday next and the club is inviting coursing and sporting enthusiasts to see the facility.’
- ‘Stag hunting with hounds and hare coursing are not necessary.’
- ‘The launch was held at a press conference at which graphic footage of foxhunting, staghunting and hare coursing was also released.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.