One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rock which encloses a mineral deposit, igneous intrusion, or other feature.
- ‘None of the sites, some of which included samples from the immediately adjacent country rock pillow lavas, yielded useful data.’
- ‘To form the clastic dyke debris at the time of dyke injection, large amounts of magma and country rock need to be fragmented and mobilized in the subsurface.’
- ‘The enclosing country rock is composed of very weathered syenite.’
- ‘Thus, it is easy to see how rocks from the resulting deposit can be physically separated from the country rock or host rock.’
- ‘The typical image that this process invokes is that of a magma chamber with bits and pieces of the enclosing country rock or wall rock floating in the magma.’
country rock/ˈkəntrē räk/
A type of popular music that is a blend of rock and country music.
- ‘The Perth trio oscillate between muted country rock and quieter musings.’
- ‘There are numerous contenders for the first country rock album.’
- ‘The band, whose mix of traditional folk music and country rock sounds has won them awards from as far afield as Australia and America, are a very vibrant and exciting act.’
- ‘He might well be the secret link that binds the new wave of Canadian country rock bands together.’
- ‘Now all that stuff's lost to the past, and we're left with Jim's current obsession, which is country rock… and um… heavily distorted near-metal psychedelia.’
- ‘When they're not diving headlong into unknown waters, they're busy cranking out straightforward country rock ballads whose lack of imagination isn't at all disguised by overt electronic frou-frou.’
- ‘He likes country rock, and the best pick-up line he's ever heard is: ‘Can I take your photo to give to Santa Claus so he knows what I want for Christmas?’’
- ‘Southern country rock - all that said to me was a gang of guys in cowboy hats singing about their lost loves and dead dogs.’
- ‘The album had everything from a dirty hillbilly ramble to fast-paced country rock, and of course heartbreakingly tender and nostalgic love songs.’
- ‘Strange but heartening that the double bill of country rock and solo accordion went over better than we might have expected.’
- ‘Or do you want them to stay in their box and maintain their luscious, harmony-filled, country rock?’
- ‘Anyway, the album itself is typical, no-nonsense alt-country / country rock material.’
- ‘An honest and well-crafted record that toys with elements of country rock, soul and blues.’
- ‘Somewhere, stylistically, between country rock and folk roots, this songwriter has an original, weathered and understatedly expressive voice for a 23-year-old.’
- ‘The arrangements are jazzy, light, breezy - some have a West Coast country rock vibe, while others have a certain baroque touch.’
- ‘Its overdriven, delay-drenched keening performs a bizarre balancing act that puts it exactly between space and country rock.’
- ‘Its currency is largely saccharine country rock.’
- ‘When they brought their spectacularly lengthy and overwrought country rock show to town last year they attracted only a fraction of tonight's capacity crowd.’
- ‘For no nonsense Southern country rock you could do far worse than this.’
- ‘Their flexibility and willingness to experiment have resulted in many thrilling diversions outside of their expected path through country rock.’
country rock/ˈkəntrē räk/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.