One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A club with sporting and social facilities, set in a suburban area.
- ‘A murder inquiry was under way today into the death of a timeshare salesman who was killed after spending the evening at a country club.’
- ‘He belonged to a luncheon club and a country club, and he wangled invitations to play golf at Augusta and Cypress Point.’
- ‘The look of a deserted country club swimming pool at two o'clock in the morning.’
- ‘We'll sound like snobs if we say the country club and if we say our club we'll sound like I-don't knows!’
- ‘Later, your father's going to play golf at the country club and I'm going to take Camille shopping.’
- ‘He wasn't good at football, couldn't afford Polo shirts, and didn't belong to a country club.’
- ‘So, here I am, then, at a country club in Buckinghamshire, awaiting the arrival of the England front row.’
- ‘The city could boast of a country club, an opera house, a huge post office, and many other fine buildings.’
- ‘My husband and I attended a family wedding held at a Jewish country club.’
- ‘Instead, it came back from the country club, driving slowly past the gate.’
- ‘Forget a membership at a local country club; he'll play a decent course away from the crowded public ones.’
- ‘It's a health and leisure product - almost like a country club - that you can join.’
- ‘I also liked the fact that there was always some club in town that was a blues club or a country club or a jazz club or whatever.’
- ‘She finds herself in the ballroom of the country club, in a dazzling yellow dress with long gloves.’
- ‘If you catch someone cheating in a home game or at the country club, what would you do anyway?’
- ‘But the atmosphere is something between a scout camp and a country club without snobbery.’
- ‘Then came a break of almost four weeks which saw Rebecca work as a valet at a country club to earn cash and the opportunity to practice for the next session.’
- ‘The next morning, another set was delivered and an invitation to play at the country club.’
- ‘I sat with him at dinner in his beautiful country club down in Palm Beach.’
- ‘They were as oblivious of the country club crowd as the club was of them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.