Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of an item of food) covered in batter, flour, or breadcrumbs and fried.‘country-fried steak’
- ‘Expected to be in competition with the hamburger for the state food honor will be "country-fried tofu" which is supported by the vegetarians.’
- ‘Helen cooked country fried steak, macaroni and cheese, and a pan of her delicious biscuits with the boiled cabbage.’
- ‘He stopped at a rural luncheonette and ordered country-fried chicken steak, beans, mashed yams.’
- ‘The country-fried chicken crispers, cinnamon apples and chocolate milk alone equaled 1,020 calories.’
- ‘I was under the impression there are now two bowls: one with chicken on the top, and another with country fried steak, or somesuch.’
- ‘Blue collar workers sit eating their country fried steak platters.’
- ‘What else have you got besides country fried something or other?’
- ‘A woman sitting at a restaurant in McKinney, Texas suddenly began to cough while eating a giant country-fried steak.’
- 1.1informal Rural or unsophisticated.‘country-fried tunes’
- ‘Other highlights included a warmer, country-fried version of "Explode," enthusiastic audience participation during "Live And Learn" and the brand new track, "For The Boys."’
- ‘The slapstick Brooklyn anthem "Seven One Eight" features a peculiar country-fried beat orientation and harmonica sample.’
- ‘Whereas on Furnace her voice constantly strained to make everything as country-fried as possible, here it serves many different purposes - the purposes of individual songs.’
- ‘Strange but true, the squeaky clean crooner's country-fried approach to Wayne as he lusts after Emily adds a little spice to an otherwise bland dish.’
- ‘What Califone have come up with is a real old-time down-home country-fried sound.’
- ‘It turns out the demographic has an insatiable yen for humor that skewers country-fried stereotypes.’
- ‘Four vinyl sides of dishevelled blues'n'soul and country-fried rock'n'roll, the double album was the sound of Keith Richards reborn as a southern sharecropper.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.