Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An alternative or opposing narrative or explanation.
- ‘So the first day was dedicated to ice breaking, concept introduction, and sharing personal counterstories.’
- ‘Another counterstory is to be found in the volume where one would look for it, in Vinter-Eventyr, her book of intertextuality on the level of work to work.’
- ‘James Scudamore skillfully weaves a wonderfully complex web of stories and counterstories, telling and retelling climactic events from various perspectives, exposing the fluidity of truth and the retributive nature of reality denied.’
- ‘Through their counterstories I demonstrate that teacher insurgents are actively resisting English-only policies and promoting bilingualism.’
- ‘Through the telling of the counterstory, multiplicity, at first a wound and a defense against unbearable reality, becomes a fruitful condition.’
- ‘In several of the best, the main account is quietly hollowed out by the vague counterstory of a secondary figure - someone marginal, unconsidered, powerless.’
- ‘If dominant stories tell tales that force everyone into one mold or belief, then counterstories are all those stories that don't fit the mold.’
- ‘While cross-cultural mentoring can be as valuable an experience as any, the opportunity for me to be mentored by a Hispanic and two Black women provided me with what critical race theorists would call counterspaces to tell my counterstories.’
- ‘These counterstories become the basis for redefining strength and developing healthier, non-violent lifestyles.’
- ‘He produced a counterstory to the hurricane's wrath: human error, the mistakes of a federal agency that caused massive flooding.’
- ‘The narratives employed in their counterstories demonstrate further these presidents' emotional intelligence as conceptualized by Gardner and Goleman.’
- ‘Through Yosso's counterstories, we are introduced to three new characters: Paula, Claudia, and Esmeralda narrate the counterstories in Chapters 2-4.’
- ‘The rest of her short book is devoted to demolishing the dispensationalists’ reading of the Bible, and to offering a counterstory of the incarnate love of God that refuses to leave his church or his world behind.’
- ‘But the word has gotten out that more is coming down the pike on the origin of those fake documents - and Marshall implies that a planted counterstory emerged today in the Financial Times.’
- ‘At times to clarify understanding of the perceived counterstory, the witness will do a story check with the lost person.’
- ‘The Strength Campaign uses dominant stories and counterstories to encourage individuals to tell the stories of their lives, share with the world what excites them, and speak out about what makes them uncomfortable.’
- ‘Nelson states that the most effective means of repair for identities damaged by abusive master narratives is the counterstory.…’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.