One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A punch thrown in return for one received.
- ‘Against Toney, Jirov averaged nearly 90 punches a round despite being nailed with some powerful counterpunches.’
- ‘Kenneth threw a counterpunch and Malcolm stumbled backwards, giving his cousin time to speak.’
- ‘He came on strong late in the four-round bout, consistently landing counterpunches against the overeager fighter.’
- ‘Secondly, fighters can choose to block incoming blows outright or parry them, providing a split second or two to get in a quick counterpunch.’
- ‘Mosley's body punches could leave openings for counterpunches to the head.’
Throw a counterpunch.
- ‘The aggressive Orbillo forced the action and the slick Quarry counterpunched beautifully.’
- ‘He also counterpunched effectively while landing more shots to the head than almost any competitor so far.’
- ‘With Lieberman peaking late, Weicker did not have a chance to counterpunch.’
- ‘Dirrell counterpunched his way to an easy victory in the second fight of the day at Peristeri Olympic Boxing Hall.’
- ‘In the third, Khan again extended his lead to four points, counterpunching the counterpuncher to great effect and went into the final round 12-8 in the lead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.