Something such as heat or an ointment that is used to produce surface irritation of the skin, thereby counteracting underlying pain or discomfort.
- ‘Most other pain creams contain counterirritants which bring about a mild to extreme burning sensation which distracts the mind from the pain temporarily.’
- ‘Distraction could be provided by rubbing the patient with counterirritants such as stinging nettles.’
- ‘It acts as a counterirritant that stimulates nerve endings, helping to reduce the number of pain messages that reach the brain.’
- ‘Most counterirritants use heat or cold to ‘distract’ the brain from recognizing the original pain source.’
- ‘It is one of the most commonly used counterirritants for temporary relief of pain.’